Monday, February 23, 2009

Costumes

Matt and I went to Megacon '09 this year and it was so much fun!! I wanted to show off the costumes I made for the two of us to wear.


Our first costumes were shy guys from the Super Mario Brothers game series. The robes were pretty easy to make; I got a robe costume pattern and modified the arms and added a pocket into the side. I also added a panel of thin black fabric inside the hood so that our faces were not visible. The masks and belt buckles were the most difficult parts.


The masks are made of paper mache, which has been painted white, and an elastic strip attached to either side. The belt buckles I made out of clay, then painted. They are attached on the belts (which were cheap GoodWill store finds) by elastic loops.






Our second costumes (which we wore on Saturday) were Doki and Nabi from the There She Is cartoons. If you haven't already watched them, be sure to stop by sambakza.net and take a look!


These costumes were a bit more difficult. I bought the hats pre-made from a website, then took them apart and put them back together to make the inside ears white instead of the pink that they came as. The bunny ears had to be rigged to make them stand up properly (with the help of two wire hangers, a head band, two hair combs and epoxy clay). The cat ears had three black stripes painted on with fabric paint. The sweaters and pants and skirt all came from GoodWill finds. I altered the skirt a bit and added the pink collar to the sweater myself. I found green fabric and made the scarf myself. Shoes and tights were bought at Walmart, and we used professional clown makeup to whiten our faces.


I also made a purse to match and carry around things while at the con.





No comments:

Post a Comment