Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Artist Trading Cards and techniques

So, I'm a member of craftster.org, and I've recently been introduced to Artist Trading Cards, or ATCs for short. I also joined a swap for fabric ATCs. Therefore, I've been doing a lot of research on different methods and techniques for making these, and trying some of it out.

One of the first interesting things I learned, was packing tape image transfers. You can take a picture, photo copy it (this only works with printers that use toner: such as a laserjet printer, or a copier machine), then put packing tape over the image. Smooth out the tape real well, then let the paper soak in water for about five minutes. Once it's done soaking, rub the paper off of the tape (I did mine under running water), and voila! You image is now on the tape!

I was pretty skeptical at first, but I tried it out, and what do you know? It worked perfectly! Take a look:


I also did some practice for the fabric ATCs I'm going to be swapping at the end of the month. I've never really used a zig-zag stitch for design or to around the edge of something to mimic a serge, so I wanted to try it out.

I ended up taking apart my sleeping mask, and decorating/experimenting with it. I used some pretty shiny material with a butterfly design on it, and cut out flowers from another material. Then I sewed around the flowers with a gold thread (horrible to work with!), using that zig-zag stitch. Took me a little bit to figure out the stitch length and distance, but I think it worked out pretty well. I also hand-added some little seed beads on the flowers to match. I cut out a piece of spare fleece I had and pined to the back, and sewed it all together using that zig-zag stitch around the edges. The original sleep mask is sandwiched in between the layers, and I also added new elastic straps. I really like the way it turned out.


Featured

Today's feature, is LeastLikely2Breed. I found this store a while back on Etsy, and immediately added it to my favorite sellers. What makes Leigh's products so unique is her labels, descriptions, and naming. For instance, 'Roid Rage' is one of my personal favorites. Here is an exert from her description:

"Oh come on, when you push out 7lbs plus of baby you're gonna get some hemmies. Instead of sheepishly trying to hide your remedy behind other, more socially acceptable toiletries in the bathroom cabinet, why not display your tin of Roid Rage prominently and within easy reach? It smartly says to all your spying guests, 'I have hemorrhoids -- so what.'"

Her shop is filled with all manner of these same types of products, from "Keep Calm and Carry On" lip balm to "Bad Ass Booty Balm" for diaper rash. Buy them because they're good products with natural ingredients, or for a novelty gift for friends. Either way, I'm sure you'll be pleased with her professional-looking labeling and the product itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment